Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Thursday, September 2, 2010

The highlights of the week

Good:
- Annoying man in my class has been held back, while I am full steam ahead!
Translation: we are in different classes! At least for now, I think it may change after I return from Oaxaca....

- The town and city is getting all decorated and ready for the biggest day in the Fiesta calendar, 16th Sept which marks Mexicos independence.. this year it is 200 years!!! Bicentennial betches!

- Juan has put me in a flat under his house for a few weeks and I loving cooking and overeating there.

Negative...
- The class I have been in this week is really fast, really rushed and so I don{t know what is going on. Nothing is explained in English and it has been a train wreck basically! But I am going to try and work it out....

- All the activities have been cancelled this week! Wed cafe social was a blow coz it{s my real only speaking Spanish time and Thursdays cooking lesson too!
Basically we went from having a billion students to having 7. Next week 3 canadian teenager/siblings are leaving so we are going to be down to 4.
This is going to be interesting, because currently there are 3 classes : Beg, Inter and Advanced.. I am sitting in the intermediate, but whatever willl they do next week with 2 intermediates, 1 advanced and one Beginner (american man...)

- A bridge fell down... chaos.
This may potentially effect my bus plans to Oaxaca but I am not sure... time will tell.

-I{m also going to include the fact that I am addicted to these caramel covered peanuts from a [Traditional Aztec Candy Store* (gimmick?) anyways, all the nuts they cover in sweetness are amazing, but these are the cheapos so I have comfortably allowed myself to become addicted.
I do walk an extra 15 mins both ways to access them... so it{s healthly??

Random side note:
People ALWAYS rip me offf... I find it really hard to say no to people selling stuff on the street/beach. Last week a got a bangle for a friend who{s birthday is coming up (Emma Swad, if you{re reading this... send me your addy!), and I thought I got a reasonable deal.. until, I saw the shop prices - I bought it for 4x as much!! And 5x the price other vendors sell them for !! But now I know, so I was wiser next time.

A few days later another man was trying to sell the bangles and I was all [I know they aint worth that* ¨The other guy..* rah rah rah , but then I took pity on him because I started saying no GRACIAS with vicious force... and he looked stung. So then talked to him for ages and he kept lowering the price for a mass buy and I was all [I don{t have much money* (I gave him my whole weekly intended food money btw, but all is well coz I bought up big last week)... He was so desperate to sell, and the had made nothing all day (he showed me the wallet) and I believed him because there are NO tourists here at the moment.
It was after 4pm and he had been loitering around since 10. Anyways, I think I am made at these people because I know that I{m going to buy stuff! At the end of the day I end up viewing it as a donation towards his life... especially since I made him individually promise not to spend it on: drugs (this is mexico), Cigarettes ($3 for what is $15 in NZ... sick), Alcohol (tequila is next door so it cost like $4 for a bottle or something) anways, after he bust out his AA pin and told me about the day he stopped drinking, 15 months ago, and swore on his parents graves that he would only spend it on Food and essentials for his family... we had a deal.

1 comment:

  1. Maria...am enjoying your blog and definitely empathise on your stomach rumbles and troubles! Remember it so well...hunting the market,in Oaxaca, on a blistering hot day trying to find lemonade and chundering into any available receptacle. Have fun Maria...and love the way you're a softie for a hard luck story......Jann

    ReplyDelete