Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Guess who is back?

So.

Just had a coooking class on Enchiladas. Fun fact: Enchiladas are not rolled up tortilla with chicken and lettuce, tomato and Old El Paso inside.
I would like to say they are som much more, but they are just different.
I might be biased towards my mother{s Old El Paso magic but it was my favourite blackmail ¨go-to-swimming-lessons-with-the-crazy-pattisons-and-get-prodded with the stick and enchiladas for dinner^ meal.

Here the tortillas are small, semi deep fried (technically shallow pan because Mexicans don{t have deep fri machines.. but trust me, they would be abused here) It is thens dipped in some kind of hot salsa (hot as in temp and taste) and topped with raw onion, cheese (which is white, very soft and dry goats cheese), and corriander. The sauce detirmines what it is called e.g Enchiladas Mole are dipped in a rich, brown spice and chocolate savoury sauce (too much for me to handle) -- is a very popular one. Today we learnt how to make Enchiladas Verde, literally meaning Enchiladas green (although I don{t hve to tell those of you who watch Dora the Explorer that). It is made with green tomatos, don{t know if it will be possible in NZ but I will try.

I got a phone the other day, it cost the equivilent of $30 NZ and comes with $10 credit a month so... sweet as! This was to satisfy my friend Amanda.
The woman at the phone shop asked me if I was married and I was like [Whhhhhaaaaaattt? I{m 20!!* and then turns out she is 22, got married at 16 and wants a divorce. We talked about this in English due to the fact I don{t know such complex words. I was like {Oh... te gusta peliculas? (You like movies?).
But seriously though, I have been noticing very young looking lasses and lads with lots of children. Or they look about 24 and have 8 year olds... that is my biggest fear.

I was going to go to Playa del Carman for a few weeks of school, but now it{s looking like Oaxaca, which is an old town in the hills, away from the ocean. Both schools have a residence for students to live in but the Oaxaca one is, I kid you not, 1/4 cheaper!! nuts I know. I will get to Carman at some stage though coz darnit, I{m not leaving without swimming in the Carribbean!!

My conversation is slowly improving, still very difficult, i go home with the best intentions to study more... but it is just SO draining. Between the walk up a step hill in 35+ degree heat and the listening to a foreign language all day, I{m beat. My teacher today and was telling me how I have to try and speak for a few hours each night and I explained I don{t live with anyone but I watch a few hours of TV in English with Spanish subtitles and he was satisfied. It is good though, I pick up a few new words a day... and notice some very off translating.

I saw Sense and Sensibility the other day.. with Emma Thompson. Loved. it.
Now want to read the book, just like the inspiration I got from Pride and Prej too.. should have known I would like this one too. I wish I lived in those days... as bizarre as that would sound, and even though RA{s voice is in my head going [No you don{t*. The horse riding, the balls, the manners, the language is all just brilliant.

I am aware that not much I have written is about Mexico. Not too much to report. when I go to shops I attempt to speak Spanish and they always just speak to me in English. Is frustrating... like, Just let me try!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment