Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Thursday, August 5, 2010

This is en English for short time span.

Do you know what is weird?

I am finally in Mexico, where the Maria is the Jessica or Matthew of 1989, but for EVERY YEAR, 
and people here think my name is MARY. Usually in NZ i get MariE, but Mary now. 
I thought this is where my name would be properly pronounced and sound bonita. 
But no. People think that I am just Mexicana-ing my name up, a la John> Juan or Peter> Pedro. 
Because I am not Mexican people think I am Mary, so now if they say:

?Maria es un Mexicana nombre? I reply: "No, Maria es una Italiana nombre". 

It is. 

Now for a classic awkward Maria tale. 
Last night was the gathering of the Estudiantes and Maestros de mi escuela, they call it 
"Cafe social" which technically means Coffee date, but I thought it was a meal. 
Especialamente porque (because) they have it at a differente tiempo (time) each semana (week). 
So I bust my ass to get down there at 8pm, starting time, and hadn't eaten since breakfast to prepare for a grande meal. I was sweating like a piiiigggg because I missioned down there from 
mi casa and it was still warm with the sun out (sets at 9pm)... 

Got to the place and there was no one there. No one at all, from the school or otherwise. 
It must seat... 200+ personas??? Anyway, the next  people to arrive came 10 minutes later, two of the teachers who are married. They got Coronas (Mexican beer... That explanation is for Madre) and I got agua (water... which by the way, you can only drink bottled. I buy a 1.5 l each day... need more though really). Water was the obvious choice for someone sweating up a storm and preparing for a grande meal. 
People trickled in for the next 2 horas, I was concerned about when the cocina (kitchen) was going to close. 
If you haven't worked out by now (I didn't until about 11pm), it wasn't a meal... it was drinks!!!
I am still hungry from last night... 

This morn I had bread (no toaster... rariety in Mexico) and now I am having a packet of Ritz crackers with PB (v. expensive coz no one buys it). I will talk of my food items purchase next time but I can not cook anything because the stove (only cooking device) won't work. 
This is an issue and is really getting to me. 
The guy who owns the apartmento is the boyfriend of Amanda's friend. Amanda's friend lives around the corner but I never see the boyfriend because he works 12 hour days and is the only one who knows how to get it going. I think it's out of gas. 

Luckily, today is the day they have a cooking lesson at the school so at about 3pm in 2 1/2 hours I will be a-munching! 

No comments:

Post a Comment