Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Sunrise, Quinta Roo

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hola, ¿Como Estas?

Hey Mum and anyone else who may read this (Dad),

Last night I had to wash my hair twice and cut some bits out because there was sticky goo in it. Don{t you love the beautiful picture of Mexico that I keep painting.

I don{t know what it is, but I presume it came from the deep sea... or else the water in the shower... it was in worse shape than the huge nest in my hair that I covered up with a hair-scrunchie and got cut out in a salon, circa 2000.
But now my hair is lucious.

I also always come close to falling over on the cobblestones, because there is a lot of water at the mo and it comes off the hills, many of the vertical streets are covered in moss. The other day I slid for a good metre and a half at an intersection. Then yesterday it happened - I finally slipped and flew off the pavement onto the road (a good 30cm drop)... all my muscles are still sore and I love my Crocs a little less.

The thing I like about the pavements is that it is up to the person who built the house on the road to build the pavement, so they are all over the place! Some are like mazes, some people made walls around their pavement so it is not possible to actually walk there. You must vacate the pavement, step down anywere from 2cm to 1 metre (exaggeration?) and stand in the line of fire of the buses and crazy taxis.

I am liking the walk to school more because primary schools have gone back after the summer holiday and, I think I{ve mentioned it before, but the kids here are the cuuutttessst in the world. I will hopefully get a photo of little Oswald, who{s parents work at my school, he is four but about the size of a two year old, and he is in his first year. He wears a white blouse tucked into a blue shorts and high white socks. His mum, like almost every mum here, wetcombs his little black hair to perfection. At the school across the road from my school (I didnt know it was a school coz it is a huge, brick unsigned building) the young kids also where these bibs so they don{t get there perfect blouses dirty)
Which leads me to the never ending confusing - how do people in 3rd world countries always outdo us with the clean clothes?
Especially when most of them don{t have machines..... wow
The other thing I love is that they carry a plastic bag with a container of lunch in it... today I saw a 5 yr old girl who was missing lunch but had a role of toilet paper - either she has a cold or the brick school is ghett-o.

Yes, Miss Mexico is Miss Universe!! Even though that [paegant[ was less of a paegant and more of an advertising campaign, I was still very happy.
Even better, she is from this state! Jalisco. I was really happy that I had something to talk about with random Mexicans the next day. The friends that she made me.

Well, I am actually managing to talk a bit now ... my teacher told me today that I{ve massively improved.. I hope she just wasn{t being nice!°!
THe annoying thing about this place, and alike schools, is that they just group people together in semi-similar levels (because of the whole youcanstarteveryweek ything). Because of this my conversation class is getting no where. It was good last week with just me and another guy, but three beginners have been brought in so we are just backtracking.

For the bad news: I was hoping the American man who doesn{t try to speak English and gets the teacher to explain ALL and doesn{t try and use his dictionary is staying.... for 8 more weeks! I was living on a prayer, hoping he was going to leave soon. But nooo, I am going to be in his class for EVERY DAY that I remain!!! Today the first half hour of the class was spent with him asking how to say various meats. This is the grammar class!

I went to the Social bar night again last night, and talked with our tour guide from the Guadalajara trip about his legal wedding on the weekend, his church wedding is in Octubre. Apparently that is quite common here. But anyway, now my Wedding vocab is going gangbusters!!!

adios

No comments:

Post a Comment